Friday, October 26, 2012

Barred Owl - a happy ending for this owl

I received a call from my friend Janice Hill who volunteers at the Oshawa Humaine Society. 
A gentleman had called that a owl had hit the building and was on the ground. They put a table over him and covered the table with towels. He was being attacked by crows.
Toronto Wildlife was called and were not able to get there and asked is
 someone bring in the owl.
Janice called me and I said sure I would try and help.
Janice picked me up as I was not able to drive. By the time we got to the house
the owl had flown into the nearby tree.

He was alert and seemed ok

but we noticed he had one eye closed.
I called Rescue and was told if the owl was in the same tree tomorrow
or on the ground to call tomorrow. As we spoke the owl took off
in flight. Beautiful.

He landed somewhere in the tree .

Janice and I watched him with all the neighbours for the next two hours.
Everyone was enjoying this amazing bird. Also everyone was respecting his space.
 

The crows were bugging him but most of the time he was sleeping in the tree


Wow

How beautiful is this.


Good luck Barred Owl.
The next morning he was gone. 

I love animals and birds and I would try and help them if I can.
I do believe the owl was a male (not very big).
His behaviour seemed young but as I have been told it is difficult to tell.
The only way is by the tail feathers.
The owl was more than 20 feet up so no one will ever know if he was an adult or juvenile.

Thank you Janice Hill and Oshawa Humane Society for helping this wonderful owl.
Thank you to Bill and his wife for calling to get help for the owl.
Thank you Andrew for your advice on what to do.

and lastly thank goodness the owl was OK.