Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Owl Foundation - Taking a injured Barred Owl for help April 6, 2013

Today my daughter Julie, friend Peter and I went to The Owl Foundation to deliver a injured Barred Owl. It was a male, mature owl with a shoulder injury and also total emaciated (starving). I picked up the owl from Bowmanville Vet (who received the owl and stabilized it) then I took to the TOF. Once there we were treated to watching Annick check out the owl. She checked the fat level (0), eyes, wings, etc. Also the vet sent the X-Rays so we saw those. We will not know for a few days the future of the owl. Fingers crossed. Annick also gave Peter a real experience. She took us to see some of the resident and recovering owls, Great Horned Owls, Snowy Owls, Hawk Owl, Short Eared Owls, Barred Owl, Saw-whet owl and some juvenile Great Gray Owls. What a thrill. Thank you Annick.

7 comments:

  1. What a treat to see all those Owls but sad for the new guy, I'm "hootin" for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Donna. I hope he makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Donna. I hope he makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, I noticed your post here on a Barred Owl that was not doing so well.
    The last 2 times we saw the one at Halls, something seemed not good about her/him. It stayed in one spot way too long, not even turning direction on the branch it was on, 3 hrs, which we saw at the beginning and end of a long hike. Then we saw it the other day and its eyes were half closed and it just seemed sort of lethargic. I remarked on it to a guy we see off and on down there and he mentioned that it may have sustained a hit to its right eye a week or so ago. But, I really don't know.
    We were going to go out today to see if we could locate it and see how it looks today. Not really sure what to do, if anything should be done, and though my gut was telling me something was not right about it, I really am not 100% sure.
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joceyln.
    Please let me know what you see. Email me directly at abrokelman@gmail.com
    Owls normally are inactive during the day.
    I have not been able to get down there lately.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't find it but will check again this week off and on and I will email as soon as I do, if I do, find that owl again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok Jocelyn. Email me at abrokelman@gmail.com as I don't often have a chance to check blog. One of the barred owls at Halls had a old eye injury but it did not affect hunting.
    I will try and pop by this week.
    Thanks.Ann

    ReplyDelete