Saturday, March 2, 2013

Red-tailed Hawk Release - Toronto Wildlife Centre March 2, 2013

One of my favourite things to do is volunteer with the Toronto Wildlife Centre. Thanks to Chris M a few years ago I have become more and more involved with them. Today I was asked to release a beautiful juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. This is my favourite bird. Thrill to see this lovely hawk fly out of the box, and land in a nearby tree. He looked around and then flew to the next branch up. Once again he flew up. I stayed in my car once he flew with the window down. I watched him sit on the branch, preen, poop and look around at the other birds. Chick-a-dees arrived but left very quickly. He took one more flight and continued to preen. Thank you TWC for saving this wonderful hawk. You may have remember my last Red-tailed hawk that unfortunately did not make it - very similiar problem. Nice to see a juvenile that was starving make it and is back in the wild.